Lemon meringue pie is a classic dessert that always goes down a treat. Try our go-to recipe that never fails us. Made with a zesty lemon filling, topped with delicious toasted meringue. The perfect recipe to make your day go a little quicker whilst staying indoors.
FOR THE PASTRY
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 175g/6oz butter
- 45g/1¾oz icing sugar
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
FOR THE LEMON FILLING
- 6 lemons, zest, and juice
- 65g/2¼oz cornflour
- 250g/9oz caster sugar
- 6 free-range egg yolks
FOR THE MERINGUE TOPPING
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Measure the flour and butter into a bowl and blend together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add the icing sugar, egg and one tablespoon of water and blend again until combined into a ball.
- Tip the pastry onto a work surface and roll out to a 3mm thickness. Lift the pastry up and transfer it to line a 9in loose-bottomed flan tin. Be careful not to stretch the pastry as you tuck it into the corners. Cover in cling film and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Take the pastry-lined tin out of the fridge and trim the excess pastry. Press the top edge of the pastry so that it stands slightly higher than the top of the tin.
- Line the pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for about 15 minutes then remove the beans and parchment and return to the oven for a further five minutes.
- Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 170C/340F/Gas 3½.
- Mix the lemon zest and juice with the cornflour and stir to form a paste.
- Measure 450ml/16fl oz of water into a pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the lemon cornflour mixture to the hot water and stir over the heat until the mixture has thickened, then remove from the heat.
- In a bowl mix together the sugar and egg yolks and whisk into the lemon mixture in the pan. Stir over a medium heat until thickened. Set aside for a few minutes and then pour into the baked pastry case.
- whisk the egg whites in a free-standing mixer until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Add the caster sugar a little at a time, still whisking until the meringue is stiff and glossy. Add the cornflour and whisk again.
- Spoon on top of the filled pastry case and spread the meringue to completely cover the lemon filling. Then create a swirl on the top of the meringue.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the filling is completely set and the meringue is lightly golden and crisp. Allow to cool completely before cutting or serve very slightly warm.
If you’ve given this recipe go, we’d love to see your creations. Please share any pictures you may have through our social channels @Truly_Lifestyle.